DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Behaviour of Oracle 8i onWin 2000

Hi Fellows,

I installed Windows 2000, then I installed Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition, Then I have to Re-Install the Win 2000, so I removed Oracle even from Registry as well.

Now I have installed Windows 2000, and I install Oracle 8i E.E . It takes me through all the stages, after few minutes say Installation successful, but It does no have any thing in Oracle Home, It does not have thing in Start - Program... Can any one please let me know Why? I remember fisrt time installation it asked me the Database name etc, but now it doesn't and even does not have any thing n start menue.

Please advice me how can I get it working...
    Any help Greatly appreciated..

Thanks in Advance.

When you reistall Win2000, did you re-format your disk? if not, some previous Oracle file still exist and cause trouble.

Unhappy

NO , I did not format the disk but I installed Win2K again and I suppose every thing was new in O/S after Re installation.

If there are still files some where, How can I get rid of those files and Re-Install Oracle There...

Please advise me.
    Thanks

Its definitely strange. I did couple of times, never been a problem with Installation. Is it server/workstation ? I guess its something to do with OS. Check out the its has pretty much all the components of OS. Did you follow Oracle Installation steps for NT/2000. what vesrion of Oracle You are trying to install ?
    Reddy,Sam

Hi Raddy,

Thanks for your Response.
    I am installing 8.1.6 on Win 2000 which is Professional Edition.

I could not figure out the Reason, even Re-Installing Win2K definitely takes all the new files for O/S even new account of Admin User. How can I make it Working...

Now if I install Oracle again, actually it does not Install but says Installation successful.

Please help... Thanks

What edition of Oracle 816 ? Personal/Standard/Enterprize. I did couple of times Enterprize edition.

Was there anything to do with hard ware. I mean upgrading from 98 to 2K or 95 to 2K ? In compatible drivers ? I am trying find whats going on with it even after the fresh installation of OS, its doing the same...

What was your filesystem FAT32/NTFS ? Try NTFS.
    Reddy,Sam

Hi Raddy,

Oracle 8i (8.1.6) Enterprise Edition for NT/2000.
    Windows 2000 Professional Edition.

I have two O/S, one is millenium and Oracle 8 Personal That's is fine. Other is Win2K I suppose is Fat32. I did install Oracle, it worked fine, then I tried to Install Developer 6, which contradicts some files, so I removed Developer and Oracle both, Re-Install Win2K fresh. Now installation does not not take place, It deinstalls if any thing is there, then Installs, messsage same, but nothing in Oracle Home and not in Programs.

Thanks

#Could u tell me what are the steps that u have performed in Deinstallation of Oracle.
    #Have u removed ur Registry Entry like in regedit->hkey_local_machine->software->Oracle->home1. If u delete the home 0 registry information i think it will give some problem.
    #I have done that today and it didnt give any problem for me.
    #But i installed In NT4.0. Did u format the disk while reinstalling the WIN2K.
    karthi,
    MDC Systems inc
    Farmington Hills,MI

I don't see thats the problem, as he installed OS fresh(assuming registry refreshed with new install overlaying the fresh registry). If this is not what happened with fresh install of OS, then you gotta go and remove the whole ORACLE key from registry and then try.

I undestand , you tried to install developer in the same home of Oracle Server, which is not the it supposed to be... it should be in different home.

[url]http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6399[/url]
    [url]http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6389[/url]
    Reddy,Sam

Thanks for your Reply.

Oracle was not recognized in the System as Installed Program, Si removed from hard Disk, Removed from Programs and Removed the Whole Oracle Home from Registry and even Removed from Recycled Bin.

Physically I removed every thing from Hrad drive, Re-Installed Win2K and then Installed Oracle, But no Success even it makes home in Registry and Only Folder in Oracle Home/Ora81/Bin That's it but no entry in Programs...

Please help.
    Thanks