DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restriction on Database Name

Our database was created by a colleague who had problems with a particular name on Linux. The name adm_p did not work, so he named the database admp, and the instance was named adm_p. Apparently, according to him, the '_' (underscore does not work, he thinks it might be an Oracle to Linux thing.

The '_' helps us read the name better but I hate having to have a different name for our instance and database name since we only have one instance, and it confuses issues. We are creating a new instance and I thought this was an ideal time to change the name on the new system.

Also, can you tell me if I wanted to change the name on our exisiting Production server, what would the procedure be? Any precautions to take?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nirasha

Do not use - ? % $ & * .... for instance name and db name.
    Use only A-Z, that too 8 characters only.

Thanks alot...

I am creating a new development and qa system so I can get that sorted out. The production system has the database name as fndryp and the instance name as fndry_p.

How do I change the instance name? Is it a problem/risky to change it?

Thanks again,
    Nirasha

Change INSTANCE_NAME in INIT.ORA file.

Thanks,

do I need to run the orapwd utility? Where is the instance commonly name used (so that I know where to change afterwasrds)

Nirasha

I made a mistake in my post, it was the other way around. Below is my settings:

SQL> select instance from v$thread;

INSTANCE
    ----------------
    fndry_d

SQL> select name from v$database;

NAME
    ---------
    FNDRY_D

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME
    ----------------
    fndry_d

initfndry_d.ora file:
    db_name = "fndry_d"
    instance_name = fndryd
    service_names = fndry_d
    Please advise...

Thanks so much...

Nirasha

[Edited by nirasha on 03-13-2001 at 05:09 PM]

Please help!!

Nirasha

Would u like to change the name of the database or the Instance. I have done the name changing of the database once. Maybe i could help u but i dont know whether u want to change the database name or the Instance name.

I did not create the database. The database was created with the the "-" (underscore and the instance name was listed without. Having these two different has caused alot of confusion. By the looks of it I want the database name changed.

What is confusing me tremendously is when I query the data dictionary view for the instance name I get:

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME
    ----------------
    fndry_d

Why does this happen? Look at my init.ora parameters I posted earlier. Please shed some light. Also advise on changing the database name on my production server.

Thanks in advance,
    Nirasha

I havent done the name changing in the production Environment. But u should change the name in Parameter file and u should change the also change the database name in the control file by taking the backup of the control file to trace and altering the database name using the set command. U should not alter anything else. Then u should recreate the control file with resetlogs option. i think this will work but i am not sure. U should shutdown the database before doing this. Please reply so that i will be able to know the result of this.
    karthi,
    MDC Systems inc
    Farmington Hills,MI