DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Terabytes + database on NT

Hi,
    We are in the process of deciding the operating system to hold our database. It is expected that the database will be in Terabytes and will keep on growing at a very fast pace.

Is NT the right o/s for this or we should move to unix. If unix then which flavor of Unix.

I must tell you that the dataase will mainly consist of scanned images.
    Another solution which is possible to limit the size of the database is to store the path of the images in the database and store the images in the file system. In this way we can use NT, but I am not sure of the side effects of this.

We are thinking of 8i or later.

Please help.
    Thanks
    Anurag

8i definitely.

Depending on how many users you will have accessing the data, Unix probably. Any of the major Unix flavors will be adequate, but I am partial to Solaris.
    Jeff Hunter

Oracle handles CLOB/BLOB very poorly when they are stored in the tablespaces, particulary the image size is > 32K. I would suggest to use filesystem (BFILE) for all images.

Regarding NT and UNIX OS, I would prefer to go with AIX (64 bit) and Oracle 8i (64 bit), with a solid IBM Disk array system.
    If you plan for 1 TB database, then you must buy 2 TB Disk array system.

The image file sizes are 1.4MB each.

What are the pros and cons of using the files system (bfile) against storing the images in the database.

Hi,

IBM RS/6000 S80 series have the copper processors which is the fastest in UNIX machines. This together with ESS will be a good combination for 2TB database.

Baliga

I would agree with tamilselvan and mbaliga AFA hardware is concerned. I used to think sun was ok in reliability recently, but no more...

[Edited by sreddy on 03-13-2001 at 01:38 PM]
    Reddy,Sam

Hi,
    i would suggest HP- Server as they are very rugged and stable, many big organizations are using HP systems, and in my experience i never had any problem using Oracle in HP.

Bye