DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intelligent agent failure notification thro e-mail

Question

Hi ,

I am working on a set up with HP-UX 11.0/ Oracle 8.1.6/8.1.7 Db's and OEM 2.2 console with 8.1.6/8.1.7 intelligent agents.
    I am trying to create an event on 8.1.6 and as well as 8.1.7 servers, to notify thro e-mail whenever the agents are down on the servers. I am successful in creating the events such as alert.log , DB UP/down and Datagatherer UP/Down, but i am not finding any test events to notify about Intelligent agent. Any help would be greately appreciated.

And i am looking for one more solution, about these events is whether to schedule or not to schedule these evets?.

My requirement is just to get the notification thro e-mail, only whenever the agent/DB is down. I don't want the regular warning/mails/alerts on some periodic intervals. But if i didn't schedule i am not getting any mails , even the Datagatherer/agent is down. Pl help.

Thanx a lot.
    Deenu Param

ON the OEM go to
    system->configure SMTP getway
    after that fill on the blanc space your SMTP Mail gatway and
    the Sender's as well, i mean what u want to appear as a sender for u.
    On the menu just go to system->preferences->notification and then specify ur email and then test to make sure that is working

Regards
    Alexandre
    In god i trust

OEM uses the intelligent agent to communicate with the database. As a result you would be able to create jobs and events. If the intelligent agent were to go down, then OEM/OMS has no way of interacting with the data base and any event or jobs set for that node would just fail, and if it is the case that the OEM/OMS on the same node, I presume that would also fail, not exactly sure.

Coming to answer your question, the best way to check whether the agent is up or down on a system, write a cron job script that would do and ls and awk for dbsnmp. If you get to see the dbsnmp then it means that your agent is up and running. if it were to be down, then send a mail. There is no option in OEM to set an event for the agent.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

A small point, but I think you want to use ps, not ls to check to see if a process is running.

HTH

David.

Thanx for that corretion Dave.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Thanx all for the reply. But Sambavan , forgetting the intelligent agent, will you pl comment on my scheduling events question?.
    i.e., whether to schedule or not to schedule events ,to get the mails only, when the corresponding process is down/failed.

Thanx,
    Deenu Param

That depends on what would you like to see. I personally have created events for every instance, on performance, space monitor, alert and etc. This would keep me informed of what is going on at each of my instances. But I think that I couldn't get what you are looking for. If you could tell me what you are looking for, I can try to answer to that. Is it a problem that you are not getting any email notification on your events. If so, add the old event to the library and then edit the lirary event and make sure that you have checked both the notification check boxes on the RHS and the left bottom. That would allow your event to send the email notifications. One other thing is that make sure that you have selected the event notification under preferences turned on. I.e you should have chosen an option (light blue colour).

looking forward to your reply on the question.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 03-13-2001 at 09:11 PM]
    Thanx
    Sam

My requirment is like this. I need to get e-mails only when some break down happens. For ex ,when an error message appears in alert.log file or when the datagatherer goes down.

I believe scheduling makes it to send periodic mails, say daily at 10.00 am or so(depending on the time we choose). But my requirment is to get a mail only when a failure occurs in any of the processes for whom the events have been created, but not on a regular basis. I hope i made it clear, but still you can ask me for further clarifications if it's not clear.

Thanx
    Deenu Param