DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: installing multiple oracle home

Lightbulb

is there anyone who have multiple home of Oracle 805 and 816 on same machine(NT)?
    i have oracle 805 in c:\orant and want to install 816 in d: drive.
    during installing i gave oracle name to ora8i and path to d:\orant\ora8i. and then i got message -"The ORACLE_HOME environment variable is currently set. This will prevent proper use of multiful ORACLE HOME and since it is not required for any Oracle product functiion, it will be unset in your environment."

is there a procedure to be handled before pre-installation? please help me out to have multi oracle home.

The installer tells you "It will disable the ORACLE_HOME variable"
    You don't need it, you just need the PATH pointing FIRST at the ORACLE_HOME you want.
    You can have multiples ORACLE_HOME not setting the variable ORACLE_HOME :) (Windows NT :( )
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com

thanks for your reply.
    but i don't really understand what i have to do.

how can i just point the PATH FIRST at the ORACLE_HOME i want?
    and also i would like to know what "You can have multiples ORACLE_HOME not setting the variable ORACLE_HOME" mean?-how to not setting the variable?*^^*

Ok, I was not clear :) sorry.
    First of all, Don't set ORACLE_HOME variable, ok?
    Second: there is a shortcut in Start=>Programs=>Oracle Installation Products=>Home Selector
    This little program does what I say, it changes in the PATH the order of appearance of any Oracle Home, so a program like sqlplus will run from C:\ORANT\bin or C:\Oracle\Ora81\bin whichever is first in the Path.
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com

wow! it worked.
    i really appreciate your help.