DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database Performance

Question

When you say DATABASE PERFORMANCE, what specific information do I have to look into to ensure that the Database is in good condition?

Buffer cache hit ratio above 98%, library cache hit ratio and etc. You can make use of the Oracles statspack utility to know more information on performance tuning. There is an article on oracle magazine on how to use oracle statspac. Also this site too has technical docs on performance tuning check them too.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sam,

Aside from Buffer cache hit ratio, library cache hit ratio, Tablespace utilization. Is there anything else that you might want to add. The idea is to create a monitoring scripts that is going to run on a specified time interval using 'cron'. and once a certain threshold is reach the server will automiaticaly notify the DBA through e-mail or pager. My question now is What else is there to monitor to ensure that the database is performing well. For now Oracle, StatPack utility is out of the question.

Thanks,

Ed

There are number of other factors, like wait events, latch contentions,, buffer busy waits, i/o contentions, and etc. Why would you wnat to wast your time in sitting and writting the scrits, rather make use of the oracle tool OEM, where you can set events on the performance and then fire the message to the pager or to a mail box.

I would suggest spend some time to set up the OEM and that would save a hell a lot of time and energy for you. :)

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Diagnosing Performance Using StatsPack

There is a StatsPack for download from
    [url]http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/performance.[/url]

The pack comes with tables and scripts to gather statistics.

Once stats is gathered, report can be generated to look at the performance of the database.

hptse