DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Apache question

Dear all,
    I have a question on the networking and Apache component issues. Hope I can explain well.

We going to implement an internet solution for the customer. Basically, they definitely will use the Oracle Database (3rd - Tier) and Application Server (Middle Tier).
    Besides that, we also have another server call Web Server consists most of the Static Page, Web mail, bulletin, Chat Room (Using php).

All the server is using Unix base

Basic Flow as below

External user -> Internet -> router -> Firewall -> Web Server -> App Server -> Firewall -> App Server -> Database -> App Server -> Firewall -> Web Server -> User

When the user going to hit the main homepage is Oracle Portal which contain dynamic and static page. Dynamic Page will go to the app server to grad the information whereas the static page can easily get it from web server.

Question 1
    ------------
    Can the Oracle Apache Server run on the Web Server having mod_php ?

Question 2
    ------------
    How to selectively install the Oracle IAS components like mod_jserv, mod_plsql or http listener ?

Question 3
    ------------
    Can someone explain to me the usage of each mod available ? I know there are the documentation available, but I need some practical explaination. Please help me on this. or guide me to the web site explain on this.

Hopes u understand what I am explained.
    Thanks for your time reading this.

I can give you some basic answers but probably not complete

1) mod_php won't be installed by default from oracle, however I'm pretty sure you can install mod_php after apache is built by linking it in as a library, so if you can add mod_php to a normal apache build without having to recompile, you can add it to oracle's.

2) I'm not sure if you can selectivly install them, but you can remove them from your apache installation by just removing the "LoadModule" commands in the config files, if you don't need them.

3) Very basic overview of the few I can think of:

mod_jserv: used for running java servlets, loaded as a module so one process can handle the servelets instead of starting a new one for each servlet.
    mod_plsql: same idea, for pl/sql
    mod_perl: same idea, for perl. this avoids having to run it in your typical cgi fashion of starting up a new interpreter process for every cgi called.
    mod_php: you guessed it.

What other mods are you curious about?

Thanks for the reply but I have a question on the mod_jserv.

Did you try to install the mod_jserv individually in one server
    without install the others components ?

Please advise.

Thanks

I've installed mod_jserv on a standalone Apache server that doesn't have it default, the one that gets installed with applications/iAS should have it installed and configured already.