DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8i on Linux

Question

I tried to install Oracle 8.1.6 on Red Hat Linux 6.2. During the database creation (OUI), the system hanged at 80%. So, I decided to cancel installation at the point and create database manually, since it wasn't necessary to start svrmgrl.

When I tried it, Oracle gave the following error:

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

The error did not occurr the same way. Sometimes, svrmgrl opened, sometimes didn't (but, in that case, Oracle gave the same error after STARTUP NOMOUNT).

After all, I tried to completely remove Oracle and re-install. But, then, the same error occurred during OUI (graphical interface), auto-creating database or not, Enterprise or Standard Edition.

INIT.ORA settings seemed ok. TNSNAMES and LISTENER too. All the stuff (Oracle Documentation, Metalink) I've read didn't give me any ideas, because the scenarios suggested there were different than mine.

Someone had this problem before?

Adriano.

P.S: The system is now working, after COPYING another Oracle Server already installed in another PC. Since it's a test machine, no problem, but I still don't know what happened.

It could be an issue where your packets are getting dropped. Check your network through ping. I also wonder whether 6.2 require any patches.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Network is ok. Anyway, the problem happens even when I operate the server directly (I mentioned TNSNAMES and LISTENER just because documentation recommended to check it).

Maybe a patch is needed, but I don't know what or where to look for. Know something about?

Adriano.

This is the oracle's ftp site [url]ftp://205.227.44.220[/url] anonymous/email_address check under patchsets/servers.

Hope this would help you.
    Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!