DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7

As the subject allready explains, I've got some questions regarding Oracle 8.1.7.

One of our customers wants to upgrade his Oracle databases from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 . As they use the Java-application that we developed, they want to know if our application will still work correctly running with 8.1.7 db's.
    I've searched on Oracle's technet, metalink, ... but I can't find a document containing the differences between 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 .

Can anyone on this forum help me to find this info, so I can review together with the developers if there are problems to be expected (off course... ;-) )

Thx,

Rik

applications as such should not have problem oracle relaesed bugfixes in 8.1.7 relaese 2 versions mailny to solve installation
    issues the jvm that ships with both the releases is still the same i.e aur-ora hence we should not see any problems with the appplications as such.

hth

One correction here is that 8.1.6 is Release 2, where as 8.1.7 is release 3. The Release 3 has some enhancement but still on the library of 8.1. There aren't any huge changes, other than that of minor bug fix on it. As a result, if you are to upgrade from Rel2 to Rel 3, you should not be encontering any problems. FYI, there is also a patch for Rel 3 available at the oracle's FTP site, don't forget to apply that too.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thought that this might interest you.Default JDBC Driver Behavior
    In Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) the default behavior for the ResultSet::getXXXStream() APIs have been modified to comply with the JDBC specification so that they return null values for database null LONG/LONG RAW values. In earlier versions of the 8.1.x JDBC drivers, the default behavior was to return the empty stream for database null values. To restore the earlier JDBC default behavior when using the 8.1.7 drivers, you must use the Java property jdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6. For example, if this Java property is set at the virtual machine runtime, the command

java -Djdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6 myJavaProgram

will cause the 8.1.7 JDBC drivers to return empty streams from calls to ResultSet::getXXXStream().

The jdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6 Java property applies to 8.1.7 JDBC Thin driver and OCI driver.

Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!