DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: index info

Question

Hi :

I want to know the difference between the indexes such as Oraganized Index, nonunique prefixed index, bitmap prefixed, local nonprefixed, bitmap nonprefixed, concatenated bitmap nonprefixed, unique local prefixed, unique local nonprefixed and so on..
    Also, I want to know when and where can I use which index?

Please let me know where can I find the information in the detail.

Thanks in advance for your help.

More you ask, people throw the links/documentation for your reference, which you can do on your own. You might not get answer for lengthy topic thread you started. One can give only precise answers, if you have problem/question as the rest of the people also be little busy in their day-to-day activities.

Best approach is go thru the topic(book/oracle docs), breaking up into parts, and start posting Q`s and consolidate the topic from the discussions at the end. Have a look at the following link.

Just a suggestion. Hope it makes sense for you too.

[url]http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c08schem.htm#3239[/url]

[Edited by sreddy on 03-03-2001 at 07:30 PM]
    Reddy,Sam

I dont think anyone could explain all that in detail in a forum (unless someone's got a doc already for copy & paste). To explain those in details you probably need several pages. Metalink's document to explain bitmap indexes were 6 pages!
    If you find Oracle's documentation not friendly enough (many inexperienced DBAs do) try Metalink's documents which are written in an easier understanding english