DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11

Hi,
    I am going to upgrade an 8.1.6 database on HP-UX 11 system to 8.1.7
    Currently the oracle_home is /software/oracle and I want to keep the same home for the new release.
    There are two tasks --
    Upgrade the software
    Upgrade the database

I will keep a copy of the oracle_home in for fallback in case of failure.

Are the following steps sufficient --

1. Shutdown the database
    2. Take a cold backup
    3. Make a copy of the /software/oracle to /software/oracle_old
    4. Set the Pre-installation parameters in Unix
    5. Install Oracle8.1.7 from the CD in /software/oracle (thus over-writing the 8.1.6 binaries)
    As per Oracle installing in the same HOME is not a problem for 8.1.6 to 8.1.7
    I am keeping the old file structure so that all the parameter, password etc. files are there already (in /software/oracle/dbs and /software/oracle/network/admin directories)

I am not sure if installation will automatically launch the ODMA and let me upgrade the database there itself or I will have to run it after the 8.1.7 upgrade.

If it didn't launch ODMA at the installation time, launch it now and upgrade the database.

Anybody aware of any problems in the above method or any other glitches ?

Thanks,
    - Rajeev

Rajeev Suri

Sounds reasonable.

In step #3, instead of copying your software, just mv the directory. That way, if you need to go back, you can just rm /software/oracle and mv /software/oracle_old /software/oracle. You will also have a clean file system to install in.

ODMA should be in $OH/bin if you need to start it later.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff,
    I haven't used ODMA yet.
    The reason I was copying the files was that that way init parameters will be there before the install and I was "hoping" that when during the install of 8.1.7 Oracle finds the init files, it will use those to Upgrade the database.
    If I do a clean install, (no /software/oracle/dbs directory in the begining), I am not sure how ODMA will react.
    I think in that case I must copy the init, listener etc. file later (after the 8.1.7 install) and then run ODMA.

- Rajeev

Rajeev Suri

odma will look at your oratab file (in /var/opt/oracle/oratab on solaris) to see which databases to upgrade. You can create a link in your $ORACLE_BASE/admin to the /software/oracle_old tree to share the same init.ora files...
    Jeff Hunter