DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: memory fault (coredump)

Exclamation

hello,

i installed oracle enterprise edition successfully and i am able to run server manger and i am able to connect to database, but i am not able to connect to sqlplus, as soon as i issue that command it is giving an error : memory fault(Coredump).

what i have to do now, pls let me know immediately, i am in middle of installation.

thnks in advance
    regards
    ram kishore

check your alert_log for the instance, normally found under ORACLE_BASE/admin/sid/bdump/alert_sid.log and post the error message that you see interms of ORA in that.

That would help us to better undestand your problem. Also don't forget to mention the oracle version, and the OS.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Red face URGENT

thnks for ur reply,

i am using oracle enterprise edition 8.1.6
    and OS is HP-UX version 11
    hardware is HP9000 server.

pls let me know what i have to do now to run sqlplus

thnks
    regards
    kishore
    ram kishore

Did you get to check your alert logs. Mostly the cause of the problems are written in the alert log file. So, could you check that and let e know of what you see in there at the time you had invoked your sql. Check whether the listeners are running, through "lsnrctl service" if not start your listener. Then check the service name had been defined in the tnsnames.ora file. If not create a service name for your instance. and try.

When you say memory fault, oracle would also note this error on its alert log through some ORA-#. If you could check that and find one, then it would be more easier to troble shoot from that point. At this point it is unclear whether it had been caused by the system or the oracle.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

hi kishore

as sambavan said post the contents of your alert log here to trouble shoot the problem.

$ cd ORACLE_BASE/admin/sid/bdump

$cat alert_sid.log

this would give us a dircetion on where to start for cracking the problem.