Angry

I am getting the error KCF: write/open error block=0x1ff7b online=1
    file=72 /c1f3s80in/u03/oradata/sdps/users02.dbf
    error=27063 txt: 'IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 27: File too large
    Additional information: -1
    Additional information: 16384'
    DBW0: terminating instance due to error 1242
    Instance terminated by DBW0, pid = 29982

I have confirmed the ulimit is about 6GB and the file is just over 2GB. I'm not sure what to check next.

there are severe limitations concerning files that are larger than 2 Gb, check Oracle site for this, but it might come from that ...
    you can also try to resize your datafile to 2000 Mb for example, so you'll know if the pb comes from the 2 Gb limit

The only ulimit-related problem that we have come across on AIX 4.3.1 is with respect to the Temporary tablespace. That manifested itself as if the user had tried to write to a corrupt block in the tablespace. It turned out that the individual users ulimit (not Oracle's) was 1Gb and a disk sort was trying to work with an address in the temp tablespace that was greater than 1Gb.

AFAIK, all reads and writes to the database (apparently, apart from sorts that spill to disk) are handled by the Oracle background processes, so the only ulimit that *should* be relevant should be that of the Oracle database software owner. I think that it is most likely to be the 2Gb limit that is your problem.

I avoid this problem by not sizing data files larger than 2000M, and setting a maxsize of 2000M for any datafiles that are set to autoextend. If you need a tablespace to be larger than 2Gb, the best bet is to use multiple data files.