DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Create a Database..

Can any one please help me how to create a Database and wht are the steps to go through, Like creating Files first or what...

It's just the learning process, Win 98 Personal Oracle 8
    I know the syntax, but what are the steps to take and how.

Thanks in advance.

If you know the syntax, here are the steps.
    1)Create database with system datafile of sufficient space.
    2)Create USERS,TEMP,RBS tablespaces and Public Rollback Segements and run catalog.sql, catproc.sql. ALter system user defaulted to users and temp tablespaces.
    3) run the rest of the scripts CAT*.sql, DBMS*.sql, UTIL*.sql depending up on the options you wanted on the databse.
    4) Create DATA and INDEX tablespaces for your data per requirement.

Thats it pretty much.
    Reddy,Sam

Thanks Shreddy,
    What about the Control File, Parameter File etc, when do I have to create and how?

Thanks

You can do it easily through database assistant program. otherwise known as dbassist which can be found under %ORACLE_HOME%\bin

If you manually want to create these, then there is a default copy of the parameter file at %ORACLE_HOME%\database\init.ora
    into initSID.ora and modify the initSID.ora to start your database files.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Is the dbassistant in Personal Oracle?
    How do you chnage the parameter file, I changed the Db_name It gave me error, the Control File does not mach the Database name..

Please help me... Just for learning how to do on Personal Oracle 8 on win 98... Thanks

Do you have currently database running or not. Even if you don't have there should be sample init.ora file where you have all the required(manadatory) parameters. Make a copy of that parameter file (say your database is PROD) to initPROD.ora and edit the database name and control files names which reflect the database you are gonna create and create database.

Not sure. you have dbassist or not on Personal Oracle. If its there it should be in your programs or serach for binaries in ORACLE_HOME using windows search facility.

If you do have your its lot easier.... to create database.

[Edited by sreddy on 02-26-2001 at 11:12 AM]
    Reddy,Sam