DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP ME decipher report.txt

Hybrid View

Exclamation

I want to be able to read and decipher report.txt. I have a note from Oracle Note 62161.1 but it doesnt help that much. Is there another article out there?

thanks
    Jigar

there is SO much info in report.txt. check out the book 'Oracle Performance Tuning' by Rich Niemic. it is very good for many reasons.

the big hits in report.txt are

(first section) are library (data dictionary) hit ratio

(second section with a list of stats) check consistent gets, db block gets, and physical reads to determine your data hit ratio (this corresponds to init.ora parameter db_block_buffers). physical reads should be a fraction (10-20%) of the gets.

(second section) check that "sorts (disk)" are 10% or less than "sorts (memory)". this corresponds to init.ora parameter sort_area_size.

the goals for these ratios will differ by type of database--OLTP or DSS/warehouse.

the documentation is scattered far & wide for this report. do you have a specific performance problem to address, or were just checking out the database?

d.

[Edited by DBAtrix on 02-22-2001 at 05:59 PM]

Do a search on performance tuning at [url]http://technet.oracle.com[/url] and that would give you more details. Also check the site of oracle magazine and sep/oct and nov/dec issues talks on how to read and use the oracle stats pack. These would be another set of free good resources for your reference.

Good luck,
    sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!