DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Management Server

Hi,

How can i install oracle management server on Unix (sun) & NT Server, Iam using Oracle 8.06.

Thanks
    Salman Khan

you cannot

OMS runs on 8i, not Oracle 8.0.*

- Magnus

Is that seriously your name? Any relations to the hindi movie actor?

I do not agree with Magnus.
    I am running OMS on 7.3.4 and it is working fine. So there shouldn't be any problem with Oracle8.

Sanjay

Yeah, you can create the OMS repository on any database. it doesn't matter, but you would not be able to start the oracle intelligent agent nor the oracle data gatherer in those databases. You would not be able to auto discover these nodes but you would be able to manually discover those nodes and perform the basic dba functionalities. You would not be able to create jobs nor events agaist these databases as they need to be discovered automatically. The primary issue here is that os level sysoper and sysdba group permissions which distinguishes the newer versions from the older ones. I could be wrong on one or many cases, but this was my undestanding.

One example using intelligent agent between the 8.1.7 and 8.1.6 is that oem event manager would allow you to specify the type of OS on the perticular node on 8i release 3 but the same function would not work with 8i Release 2. It would require you to upgrade your intelligent agent to the latest one on the older db. I son't know how far the dependency would be satisfied between the older and the newer versions of the dbs

IF any one would like to contadict this, please do so, that way I would also be able to clear my undestandings on this regard.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Oracle Management Server

Oracle Management Server is mostly used for Job scheduling thru Oracle Enterprise Manager. For this it requires Oracle Intelligent Agent also. The OEM V2.1 which basically comes along with Oracle 8.1.6 version will not work properly hence OEM V2.2 has to be installed for the OEM to work and also it is so helpful for scheduling the jobs and the pager service will be much helpful whenever there is database downtime.

I heard the next versions for Oracle is coming out with WAP enabled. Is that true...?

Oracle Management Server

Oracle Management Server is mostly used for Job scheduling thru Oracle Enterprise Manager. For this it requires Oracle Intelligent Agent also. The OEM V2.1 which basically comes along with Oracle 8.1.6 version will not work properly hence OEM V2.2 has to be installed for the OEM to work and also it is so helpful for scheduling the jobs and the pager service will be much helpful whenever there is database downtime.

I heard the next versions for Oracle is coming out with WAP enabled. Is that true...?

Srikanth

Wink

Nai yaar, Iam not relate with Salman Khan. My parents gave me this name and at that time i think salman khan was used to wear "Chadee Banyaan". He was not famous nor his father.

Bye
    Salman Khan