DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Control Files

Hi ,

I have 3 control files on my instance.Currently all the three are on the same disk. I would like to move it to 3 different disks.

Can I change the path of these files directly in init.ora or any thing else is required

Please give me the procedure

Badrinath

shutdown the database
    move the controlfiles to respective locations
    change init.ora to reflect the change in location of controlfiles
    startup the database

Use cp -pr option if you are using version 7 database. Iam assuming here,your platform is unix.
    Reddy,Sam

I'm using oracle 8.1.6. Hope it's the same with this version also.

Why do you suggest cp -pr option to copy the control files, can't I use just the "mv" command and move the control files to the respective directories.

Badrinath

yes,
    you can use just the "mv" command and move the control files to the respective directories.

-pr is to preserve the details of the file (i.e. the date/time of the file), so that all the files will have exactly the same time.

I think prior to version 8, this was necessary.

Am I correct?

Good luck,
    Nirasha

you could used mv, but you may want to used cp instead, just because you may have to fall back, if your instance won't startup, like when it happend to me. this way, you can undo the init.ora and see where it went wrong.

hope this help a little

Hi,
    This is Rohit from India.See ur configuration of control file placement is not correct.In order to protect ur database from crash u have to place ur controlfile on different disks.Because if ur disk containg controlfile crashes then u cant mount ur database.In such case u have to restore ur database to the last backup of ur controlfile.
    In order to move ur controlile to different disks,first shutdown ur database.
    SVRMGR > SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE/NORMAL
    Dont shutdown ur database using abort option.
    Then,copy ur existing controlfile to other disks using ur operating system commands.
    Then in init.ora parameter file,edit ur CONTROL_FILES parameter.Include all ur controlfile paths
    CONTROL_FILES=(/disk1/control1.ctl,/disk2/control2.ctl,/disk3/control3.ctl)

Then save the file and then start the database.If u keep ur controlfiles in different disks,then ur database becomes riskfree of a crash or a controlfile not found.
    this concept is known as mirroring of Controlfile and is recommended by OFA.If u have an any doubts ,please be free to write to me at rohitsn@hotmail.com

Smile

Always shutdown yr database normally i.e shutdown immediate or shutdown normal. This ensures that all yr control files are up to date.
    Next copy yr control files to their respective place/diretories.
    Change the control_files parameters in init.ora to the new location.
    Startup the database.