DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: remote database updation

Angry

Team members,
    we have db1 database and db2 database.On db2 database we have synonyms created for objects
    on db1 database through database links.We are using this synonyms in a procedure in db2 which calls procedure
    in db1 for insertions and deletions in db1.when we execute this procedures in db2 the result takes quite a while
    i.e min 1hr.I dont know what need to be done to improve -this thro remote updations.Guys could u pls advice me on this
    Oracle 8.1.5 on solaris 2.6
    sat

Your performance with remote databases depends on a couple of things:
    1. bandwidth between servers
    2. How and where you process data. For example, if you have a package on the local instance that pulls data from the remote instance and does a calculation on the local instance, the performance will be slow. The less that has to be pulled over the link the better.
    3. I have heard about some performance problems with two-phase commits, although I have not verified these performance problems.
    Jeff Hunter

thanks for reply..i think two phase commit should resolve my issue.could anyone of u guys guide me how to use/enable two phase commit.
    sat

Whoa. Two Phase commit is what automatically happens when you have a transaction between two databases. There is nothing additional you have to configure.
    Jeff Hunter