DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: carrer advice required from dba's

hi folks
    recently i had an offer from one of the recruiters to join their team in us or uk and they are willing to sponsor by h1-b .i
    am a bit apprehensive of the kind ocf databses that i would be required to manage as most of them tell me that i would be managing giga byte databases while my experience revolves around megabyte databases .most of them also tell me that size dosent matter as given my kind of qualification (i am a engineeer with a masters in business administration) and learning capabilites i should be able to sail trough this.

i wish senior dba on this forum kindly advise me on this one

my dba exp is of 2 yrs and my scoring is around 88 %

thanx in advance

As long as you have learning capability and interest to grow, there should not be any problem to accept. And anyway you have experience managing MB databases. You can easily figure out the difference.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

I do advise to focus on making databases available 24X7 and maintaining and managing with minimal downtime rather size of the database. Size wil not makes much difference in day today life except once in blue moon situations like reorganising, rebuilding and recovering...

It does matter having proper planning for day to day maintenance activities for performance, making downtime as minimal as possible.

Reddy,Sam

Wink

folks thanks for the encouraging reply so what do you think given the baove detailsshould i accept the job offer i.e H1-B or should i garner more experience b4 i make my move to usa

thats ABSOLUTELY personal preference. Your confidence level will better justify your Q than our advise. GOOD LUCK !
    Reddy,Sam

hi

one more thing since i am going thru a consultant and after going over to us i would bea sked to attend interviews any thing with which i should equip myself in particular so that i ma better prepared to take on these interviews.i am asking these questions coz it will be my first experience in usa
    i ma bit apprehensive about what those guys gonna ask me.i have done afair bit of prepration like reading mike aults interview questions brainbench etc but anything more any specific skill sets that would help me.

us economy slowdown and its impact on dba jobs

hi folks

recently i am hearing a lot about slowdown in us it spending and as a consequence a lot of java programmers having been benched .i would whats the scenario for Oracle dba's.

your comments/views would be highly appreciated

HI
    The position is very bad in US. I have over 3 years of experience as DBA and am yet to face single interview till now. I came to US in the 1st week of January 2001 and still waiting for the project. I am not trying to discourage you but this is the reality. Here everybody wants US experience.
    dwaraka
    dwaraka K