DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: VERY URGENT (INSTALLATION)

Exclamation

hello,
    i want to install oracle 8i on HP9000 server which is of RAID 5 technology and OS is HP-UX. Actually my problem is i have to install oracle 8i and i have to mirror the disk.

and one more thing is, Is prallel server and Clustered Server is same or different ? and I want the database must be available at all times.
    I want the server as, If one server failures another server should handle the process. and what are the steps to be taken.

it is very urgent, tomorrow i have to install the server.

thank u in advance
    kishore
    ram kishore

looking at your requirements it seems to me that oracle standby server is the best option for you .as in the case of standby server there transparent failover to the standby in case of failure of the primary server

hope this helps

Question installation

thnks for ur reply but i want to know how to configure the parallel server.(means through Ip address or through network) and i want full procedure also.

thnks in advance
    kishore
    ram kishore

oracle parallel server requires a high speed interconnect that is the two instances run on two different nodes .by the way i wa not very clear about your question of network or ip address?

for configuring use $dbassist an applet is displayed then select oracle parallel server among the options available.

If this applet is not not displayed, it means the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant was unable to:

detect the Lock Manager software or the lists of nodes in the cluster on UNIX platforms

To resolve this error message:

Check to see if CM was installed and configured properly. See your Operating System Dependent layer vendor documentation for further information.

Check if you have administrative privileges on nodes by entering:

NET USE \\host_name\C$

where host_name is the host name defined in the DefinedNodes registry value for CM.

A successful connection results in "The command completed successfully."

Oracle Corporation recommends using the same user name and password on each node in a cluster or use a domain user name. If you use a domain user name, log on under a domain with username and password which has administrative privileges on each node.

an important assignement is comming up for me so bye for now.hope this helps.

[Edited by hrishy on 02-22-2001 at 12:42 AM]

Post installation

hai,

Thank you very much for sending reply, one more doubt, is there any seperate CD for Parallel server or we have to configure like parallel server, we are using HP9000 servers one is of 1gb ram and another is 750gb ram. and i have to install only one module and only one database. i have to install on monday. One more small doubt is parallel server and clustered server is same or different.

thank u
    kishore
    ram kishore

The following components comprise Oracle Parallel Server:

there si no seprate cd as such it all dependents on your liscence option.

Component Description
    Oracle8i Enterprise Edition
    Provides the applications and files to manage a database. All other Oracle Parallel Server components are layered on top of Oracle8i Enterprise Edition.

Oracle Parallel Server Option
    Provides the necessary Oracle Parallel Server scripts, initialization files, and data files.

Oracle Parallel Server Management
    Provides a single point for starting, stopping, and monitoring the activity of parallel servers and parallel server instances from within Oracle Enterprise Manager Console.

See Chapter 5, "Installing and Configuring Oracle Parallel Server Management" and Chapter 6, "Administering Oracle Parallel Server".

Operating System Dependent layer
    Consists of several software components developed by vendors. The Operating System Dependent layer maps the key OS/cluster-ware services required for proper operation of Oracle Parallel Server.

at this moment i am not sure about clustered servers hope somebody here gets back to you on that.or maybe i will do that sometime later :-)

hiy kishore

by the if you want to install oracle enterprise manger console to manage the parallel swerver then you ahve separate cd for that.

in order to install ops you have to have these pre-requisitesEnsure

a) Oracle8i Enterprise Edition, Oracle Parallel Server Option, and Oracle Intelligent Agent are installed on each node in the cluster

b)Each node must have a TNSNAMES.ORA configured. Create a TNSNAMES.ORA file so that each instance has a unique net service name. The net service names should contain the same service name but the instance names should be unique

c)The LISTENER.ORA file must be configured with information about the database on each node.
    Each instance's Oracle System Identifiers (SIDs) in the Oracle Parallel Server must be unique

i guess cluster manager is part of oracle paralle server a quick searching of oracle docs tells u this.check this on the oracle docs which says

Cluster Manager
    The Cluster Manager (CM) monitors process health, specifically of the database instance. LMON, a background process that monitors the health of the Integrated Distributed Lock Manager, registers and de-registers from CM.

It is critical that all Oracle Parallel Server instances receive the same membership information when events occur. Notification changes cause relevant Oracle Parallel Server recovery operations to be initiated. If any node or instance is determined to be dead or otherwise not a properly functioning part of the system, CM terminates all processes on that node or instance. Thus, any process or thread running Oracle code can safely assume its node or instance is an active member of the system.

If there is a failure, recovery is transparent to user applications. CM automatically reconfigures the system to isolate the failed node and instance and notify Integrated Distributed Lock Manager of the status. Integrated Distributed Lock Manager subsequently recovers any of the locks from the failed node or instance. Oracle Parallel Server can then recover the database to a valid state.

The Integrated Distributed Lock Manager relies on the Cluster Manager for timely and correct information. If the Integrated Distributed Lock Manager cannot get the information it needs, it will shut down the instance.

CM performs the following two types of operations:

Node Monitoring

Cluster Management

The description of these operations is based on Oracle's implementation of the Operating System Dependent layer. Your vendor's implementation may differ.

Node Monitoring
    CM manages access to shared disks and monitors the status of various cluster resources, including nodes, networks and instances.

Node monitoring:

Provides the basic node management interface modules needed by Oracle Parallel Server in a cluster environment.

Allows the Oracle Parallel Server environment to discover and track the membership state of nodes by providing a common view of cluster membership across the cluster.

Runs on all nodes and monitors the topology of the cluster by querying all nodes for their current membership.

Detects changes in the state of active nodes signaling those events, diagnosing the changes, and coordinating a new common and consistent state among all nodes.

Notifies Oracle Parallel Server of the actual changes to membership.

Cluster Management

CM determines what groups are up and manages instance members. Each instance registers with its database specific group. This CM function was performed by the Group Membership Service (GMS) prior to this release.

:-() quiet a lengthy piece sorry i thought this might help you.
    i am leaving for the weekend .so heres wishing you all the best fort your installation.

Arrow installation

hello hrishi,

thnks for your reply, it helped me a lot, today i am going to install oracle parallel server. if i get any problems or doubts i will contact u, u must help me. if possible try to send ur mail id.

thanks
    kishore
    Rkishore@kns.com
    ram kishore

hiya kishore

in case of any problems do contact me the folowwing mail id we surely will solve your problem if not by mail then at dbasupport forums.
    Last edited by hrishy; 08-05-2009 at 04:26 AM.