DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: automate monitoring DB

Hi,

I need to automate the monitoring process of a DB. i.e. checking the alert logs for any errors and mail me the errors automatically. At present i am doing that manually.How to automate that process??
    with regards
    Prasanna S

Hi

with OEM or scripts (U in NT or UNIX?) may be OEM is easier since it´s GUI based

Hai Pando,

thats right!! I know we can use OEM or script , i have used OEM in NT. But i don't know how to do it thru scripting in Unix, can u explain me the steps
    with regards
    Prasanna S

to use shell scripts you need to learn scripting first.... it's not as easy as saying teach me in 5 minutes and I can start scripting :o

mostly shell scripts are scheduled to run every interval of time through crontab

Mr. Pando,

I didn't asked u to teach me scripting. I thought i would get some hints so that i can proceed with. Anyway thanx for ur courtesy.
    with regards
    Prasanna S

Thats correct, I agree with pando. Why not use the OEM, which would make your life more easier. When you run the shell script, you have to put it in the crontab and then you have to schedule it. If you are so curious about knowing the automation process, first you have to know the "awk and sed" well. One other way is to look for the prewritten scripts and try making sense out of it. You can get such scripts at oracle tips, in the oracle magazine site.

Check that out.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

well I dont know what kind of hints you need, I thought by mentioning shell scripts you would know how are they used

I mean there are no any special hints... it's simple as that use shell scripts and scheduled them with crontab. Oem use TCL scripts and scheduled similar as crontab

if what you dont know is crontab it's like AT in NT if you are more familiar with Windows programs

and as Sambavan says to script good in shell you need to know awk & sed pretty good, myself am not very good with shell script neither but with help a shell scripting book such as unix shells by example and sun administrator guide I have managed to write some shell script to help monitoring a database