DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: allocation of SGA

Question

Hai guys,

Is there any general recommendation for allocating SGA ?? Suppose if I have a DB which is 40% OLTP and 60% DSS, ie. Hybrid DB and 1GB of RAM, which also has java procedures in it, how much space i can allocate for SGA. Is there any proposition between SGA & RAM, i.e. some people say 30% of RAM can be allocated to SGA initially, is that true??
    with regards
    Prasanna S

Red face sga

hi,
    as u might be knowing pretty well., a hybrid database breeds more problems then u would like to expect and mostly systems which have this combn. resort to OLTP in the day time (peak usage) and DSS in the night time, this essentially is maintained by using two sets of configuration files, but as usual oracle provides and takes care of these issues in a default way once u install uer oracle server, once u have made up uer database using the default then based on its usage for the next say 3-6months u should be able to tell more about uer db., i for one would prefer to size the sga that way,u would be going into perf. tuning this way and the only way to tune is the iterative way
    cheers
    soren