DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Listener Error

Hi,

I encounter the following error while trying to connect(window nt workstation , oracle client installation) to the database server( windows NT, Oracle 8i server)

ERROR:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

I am able to tnsping using the connect string(tnsnames entry). But i am unable to connect to any user in the server.

What could be the problem?

Thanx in Advance.

BMV

Hi,

Did you check the tnsnames in tnsnames.ora. check whether your services have started and your connect string properly.

Rama
    Rama

Multithreaded Server

Hi,

I am able to connect to machines which has dedicated server installation. But unable to connect to multithreaded server installation.

BMV

Angry Let me know if u got this thing solved !

Hi !

I am getting same error ORA-12545 ! When try to connect fro client machine to DB instance machine. The strange thing is :

1. when i try sqlplus user/password@INSTANCE works fine

But

2. when i try sqlplus and it ask for password & loginname , i keyed in both ! but it throughs this error. I have ORACLE_SID set to instance name.

Thanks & Regards

Pankaj Jain

Check Tnsnames.ora file for the correct service name. Also check your DB has got any domain name set. Check from v$parameter , db_domain parameter.

select name, value from v$parameter where name like '%db_domain%';

If you find any domain name , then include that with your service name. Like, if domain name is sample.com, then your service name should be service_name.sample.com. Try it and post the result on the list.
    Deenu Param

Hi dparam !
    Thanks for your time. Here is the info :

1. select returned !

NAME VALUE
    db_domain ORAWORLD.COM

2. Client tnsnames.ora
    DELPHI.BEYOND.COM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(PORT = 1521)(HOST = 10.2.20.94))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = DELPHI.ORAWORLD.COM)
    )
    )

Thanks !

Pankaj

For this issue, check in your init.ora file of that instance and confirm that you have enabled the MTS options. If not enable them and bounce the instance. Then bounce your listeners and then check lsnrctl services and confirm that MTS had started. Then in your tnsnames.ora file, create a new service name and after the connect option add SRVR= SHARED. Now if you connect to that service, you will be connecting to the MTS.

To the question of Pankajj, I have answered your other thread and check that out.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!