DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Unix Server Strong Enough?

Question

Fellow Oracle-lovers,

as I'm only a DBA for 2 months and my experienced collegues left me :-((((, I have the following question.

They (the people who earn a lot more than me) asked me to install 11 db's (4 with lots of data, needs to perform bulk statements, all the others just to test SQL-statements) on a new server that was purchased.
    The question of the bosses is if this machine will be powerfull enough to have a good performance , but actually I've no idea.

The servers specifications: Unix with ULTRA SPARC 400 Mhz processor, 1 GB RAM and 4* 9 GB HD).
    We'll use Oracle 8i Standard Edition.

If anyone has an idea (f.i. 400 Mhz Ultra Sparc should be as fast as a 1200 Mhz Intell (if you can compare them)), please let me know, as I'm desperate...

11 instances...? or one instance with 11 tablespaces, each tablespace for one application.
    If it was 11 instances I doubt it you have enough RAM, you prob need at least 2GB and assign more sga for those with bulk statements
    We have a machine with similar configuration but with 2 450MHZ CPUs and currently it has two instances which uses around 550MB RAM for SGA but none of the instances are for production, one is for testing (pre-production) and the other is for development. Well it really depends what do you want to do with those 11 instances

Pando,

I've checked one of our big DB's and if I use the following algoritm for the SGA
    SGA = shared_pool_size + large_pool_size + log_buffers + (db_block_size * db_block_buffers) + java_pool_size.

I find 342 Mb of SGA-size. Now I think that this is not all physically needed, but still we have probably 2 of these and the rest of them are smaller.

For me I'ld like to purchase another GB, but offcourse I don't rule the budget... ;-)

I forgot to mention that it are really 11 instances...

sorry to hear about your story i wish you do some basic dba reading to understand oracle terminlology you are talking about running 11 instance rember oracle reccmmends atleast 256 mb of ram per instance for any productiuon work and simple airtmatic of multiplying that by 11 would require 2816 mb or approx 3gb .1 gb wont suffice.

hope that you would pick up dba skills quickly even i was in a similar situation couple of months ago.

btw that much memory is required bcoz a instance always runs in a memory while a databse from the hard disk