DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: process:session setup info req

Does any one know the max threashold limit for a sessions that one could surpass the default values.

Say for example for an 100 process instance would it be appropriate to handle 1000 sessions.

Is there any resources that talks about the session limit, I know oracle calculates its session = (1.1 * process)

What is the correlation between the sessions and the process, is there any white papers on this subject that any one know of?

Some tips would really be appreciated.

Thanx,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi !
    There is no thumb rule on how the PROCESS and SESSION is to be related, however there exists an relationship between them.

For every session, a process is created. It all depends on the number of concurrent sessions.

I don't see a 100 process instance handling 1000 concurrent sessions...as is the case....when ever a new session is created a process gets added up. If the number of process execeeds the PROCESSES parameter oracle throws an error.

A simple calculation of the no. of PROCESSES
    = No. f concurrent sessions + 5

Where the 5 additional processes are for SMON, PMON, DBWR,LGWR...etc.,

Cheers,
    Nanda.

Thats correct in the dedicated server environment. How about in the case of a shared server environment with MTS.

I thought that in the shared server environment with the MTS option, one process would be able to handle more sessions? Isn't it correct?

If it was the case, that one process per session then the calculation of sessions = (1.1 * processes) would fail, b'cos,
    by the time the # process = #sessions then oracle would have to fail, don't you think?

Any ideas?

Thanx,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!