DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Create database

Question

I installed oracle 8 enerprise edition on NT. I was trying to create a new prod databse. I copied initorcl and forgot to change the name of the controlfile in my initprod.ora. I gave the oradim80 command. Service started. I gave the create databse command. Then I realised my mistake, went back to initprodora and changed the names of the control file. I tried to shutdown my prod database and tried to restart . It didn't work. I deleted prod database and tried to start another service with oradim80. The new sid is not registering as a service when I checked my control panel. My other problem is now ORCL doesn't mount saying ORA 01103 DB Name PROD is controlfile not ORCL. Since I messed up the starter do you think I should uninstall the software. If so how do I uninstall. Is there any way of working this problem

If you want to uninstall Oracle, simplely use Oracle
    universal install, which is recommended by Oracle.

If you have the database creation script, try to recreate the controlfile using create controlfile command. Hope this should work.

You don't have to uninstal Oracle just for that.
    That's what I would do:
    -shutdown abort if the instance in still started;
    - delete the service using oradim80 -delete -sid ORCL(or the name of your sid ifis different from ORCL)
    -delete all database files, control files, redo log.
    Now there is no trace of your previous database in the system. You should be able to recreate it from scratch

Mara,
    Thanks for your response. That's what I did exactly and tried to create a new sid using oradim80. But it doesn't recognise the new sid as a service, when I checked it in the control panel services. The starter control file has prod as the DB name instead of orcl ,as mentioned in the earlier message

Does it still show the old SID in the Services window after you delete it?
    Check to see if the password file is also deleted when you delete the service with oradim80 -delete.
    The password file is created when you create the instance with oradim80 -new and is located (if I remember exactly) in the %ORACLE_HOME%\Database folder and its name is pwdSID.ora where SID is the name of your instance created with oradim80, pwdPROD.ora in your case.
    So, after you issue -oradim80 -delete etc. check to see if the password file was deleted and if not delete it manually. If I remember correctly if the password file exists the service will not be created.

Hope this help.