DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NT/2000 versus LINUX platform

Question

Hi friends,

My company is close to launching its web app and we are strongly thinking of LINUX as our production platform. Presently, our development DBs are running on 2000.

Can you give any feedback on the pros and cons of the two seperate platforms, or even say which is better under certain conditions?

Thanks

To answer your question we need lot of deatils about your budget and expertise of your manpower (wheather they are comfortable with *nixes)

linux is a great platform to run oracle as compared to windows
    currently my comapny runs windows as well as linux.there are certain limitations when ur runing oracle under linux

like ops(oracle parallel server) is not available
    oracle enterprise manager is not available

for windows we have ops as well as gui oem
    minus the stability of *nix.but linux comes for free

in absence of detailed information of your set up its very difficult to advise you.hope whatever advise that is offered above helps.

hrishi

As Hrishy pointed out, you would be better off on running the database on the windows, compared to Linux. Since oracle had just started to roll out its products for linux, they are full of bugs and are primitive. Yet a long way to go. Where as for windows 2000, they have all the necessary products available and they are also point and click kind. But from my personal point of view, if you guys have enough funds, try considering the unix env, under sun. Since the oracle products are more piniored in the unix env, they are more stable, productive and problem free.

Now the choice is yours.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!