DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DBA_TABLES

Cool How to keep DBA_TABLES view up-to-date

I've 7.3.4.5 Oracle Database.
    DBA_TABLES columns are all empty except for table_name and owner columns. I changed timed_statistics parameter to true and restarted the instance but it still empty.
    Only some columns get populated when I run analyze table command for a specific table.
    How do I populate num_rows and cain_cnt for example for all the database tables and keep them always up-to-date.
    I've seen that before in a different databse but I thought all what have to be done is timed_statistics prameter.

Please advise,
    Thanx

[Edited by db_lover on 02-18-2001 at 10:42 PM]
    DB_Lover

Smile

Hi!,
    The Columns which you are referring is populated only by analyzing the tables. Chan_cnt row tells about how many rows are migrated or chained in the table. This can be got only when analyzing the table.
    Regards

hiya

use dbms_utility package.
    run analyze schema proceedure
    run analyze databse proceedure

and look into refer to oracle docs about the various proceedures and functions in this package.you could for example analyze entire sschema,database with this package.this will populate your dba_tables with statistics and row chaining information.:-)

hope it helps

[Edited by hrishy on 02-19-2001 at 01:26 AM]

Thanx, dbms_utility package helped but I'm sure there is a way to keep it uptodate all the time, I used to delete rows from a table and num_rows value on DBA_TABLES would get affected right away, same thing with chain_cnt right after a defrag it would get a 0 value ....
    DB_Lover

Smile stas

hi,
    u would need to run the dbms_utility package to analyze on a regular basis, as u know anytime oracle deletes a particular objects rows then the dependant data dictionary information also is updated, but the reverse is not true, only analyze gets that kind of information back into the data dictionary,so i would suggest u to automate this job with either cron on unix or NT scheduler on NT,one more point timed_statistics is used to measure cpu usage and is no way related to what u are doing
    cheers
    soren