DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Standby Database

We want to create a Standby database on a box that we've been using as our backup strategy by importing from our production box. My question is how does the existing datafiles, configuration, control files impact trying to set up the standby. Do we just copy the files from production and replace the existing ones? Or, do we need to start from scratch on the standby? Thanks for the help.

You will have to start over, from a cold backup copy. this procedure is very well-documented in the Oracle8i backup & recovery guide (chap 16 in 8.1.5)

you make a decision at nomount stage whether this is a standby or "regular" database.

d.

I guess I'm not grasping what happens to the backup copy of the primary datafiles - we already have the datafiles set up on the box we want to use as a standby. So when we copy over the primary's do they just replace the existing dbfs on the standby?

yes, the existing datafiles must be replaced. oracle cannot use the old ones if the databases has been mounted and opened as a regular database.

Thanks - DBAtrix