DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Preparation Avenue / Initial inertia ? Test scores ? Experience

Hi all, this forum is a great place to share my thought,

I have played around with oracle for over 2.5 years now. Basically table maintenance,
    Creating new sql inserts, modifying pl/sql objects, importing, altering, exporting databases, installing web servers, dropping, recreating object etc. This has been in the capacity as an a assistant to a senior dba ( Kind of the guy who does the ground work..setting up servers, loading software, creating tablespaces, importing dumps, creating insrtances, etc..)

Want to pursue DBA Certifications now after having wetted my feet in this technology.

Am preparing for the 1 exam, 1Z0001 ( PL?SQL) ( DBA Oracle 8 track, 8i Track) for i have the material for it.

Completed the following:
    1. Read the Couchman book on racle certification.
    2. Flipped through Oracle Documention which comes on the CD..really fast ,,cause there' sa ton of information
    3. Have taken STS practise test: Scoring on the 66-71 % range.
    4. HAve gone through Oraclenotes.com etc
    5. Have tried typing queries, creating objects as a hands on practise..

My question: What is the approx score in the practise test one should be able to achieve to put onself in the comfort zone, before shooting for the exams ? Any preparation avenues i have missed ?...I guess the initial inertia is having its toll on me..or is called the exam fever ??

Any advise ? from the mentoring pundits ?? Thanks a lot !

If you do 90% on STS you ok.
    Only Performance Tuning, you better have 100%
    This is for Oracle 8 track, for 8i check the points need, if is fewer than for 8, is eazier (have to prepare with STS for 8i also).

Thanks marian

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by m_d_marian [/i]
    [B]If you do 90% on STS you ok.
    Only Performance Tuning, you better have 100%
    This is for Oracle 8 track, for 8i check the points need, if is fewer than for 8, is eazier (have to prepare with STS for 8i also). [/B][/QUOTE]

Thumbs up 95% or better with Self Test

My experience:
    You need to have at least 95% or better with Self Test and try 3-4 times and try to get 95% and over every time. Also try other free Practice test from Oracle site. With all the practice test you have to do 95% or better.

Please keep in mind, actual test will not going to be more than 10-20% from Self Test (Practice). In my PL/SQL exam there was only one match, that's all.

One other good source is Exam Cram. Practice test with exam cram is must, because it explains like no other place.

Your other references are good. I did it same way. Good Luck!