DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SNAPSHOTS vs REPLICATION

Question

What is the difference between Snapshots and Replication in Oracle 8i??

Will Snapshots work effectively between cross platforms Unix and NT?

Will a remote snapshot site be able to operate if the Master site get knocked offline?

Any real world experiences would be helpful

Thanks

Hai,

Snapshot is a part of replication. We can't differentiate snapshot and replication.

In realtime environment, u can use snapshots is some remote machines which can be disconnected from the master and changes done in that database can be purged later. For example, we can say sales person disconnects his system and can do necessary changes and purge the changes later.

with regards
    Prasanna S

Prasy,

Will this work when you have one system in UniX and the other in NT?

When you say will the snapshot site be able to operate if the master site is knocked offline, do you mean :

Can the business use the snapshot site as a master site?

If so you are talking about failover site, you can use for this Standby databases, but in 8i the best solution in my opinion would be multi master replication.

Best to read up on technet about that, not that complicated, although does take some thinking about.

Should work on different platforms as is replicated at Oracle Layer.

BUT would you want your mission critical system running on NT when you normally use UNIX???

May work as a fill in......
    But are back to replication again.

Using 8i this is the solution I would go for.

People can update the databases locally and have changes replicated across each node (many can exist) and if the 'master' site goes down for whatever reason then simply point all of the clients to the failover site.

Minimal loss of data and downtime...........

Cheers
    Steve

Actually deggzy

A failover option isn't required the we will have only approx 25 users at the Snapshot site. I was speaking of just the remote snapshot site being able to continue working without interruption if something happens at the master site thats all.