DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Data Modeling Tools,

Hi,
    I am required to do a data modeling for a small schema. Can you please tell me which other data modelling tool is available(Other than Erwin), which can be freely downloadable from the net.

Please sugguest
    Badrinath

How about Oracle 'Designer 6i' ? PowerSoft 'Power Designer'
    Reddy,Sam

1) with Designer/ PowerDesigner, can I independently model my schema (on the normal desktop) , take the script and run it on the database,
    2) PowerDesigner, Can I download it from the net.
    Regards
    Badrianth

with Power Designer you can independently model your schema (I am not sure abt Oracle Designer). Power Designer can be downloaded from http://www.sysbase.com and is available for evaluation (I guess 45 days, evaluation period)

Cab be done thru designer. But, configuring Designer on desktop is also timetaking as you need to install local respository etc. May be power designer is little easier than designer 6i.

I never did on desktop, but enterprise servers.
    Reddy,Sam

Dsigner is way too much complicated, Embarcadero E-R Studio is very easy

The major contenders out there right now seem to be ErWin, Visio, Embarcadero, and Power Designer. However, they all fall under the same general category. ie Not Free. If you are simply looking for an eval copy, you can get that from any of the companies, including ErWin. I'm not sure why you excluded ErWin, but if it was because it's not free and you don't like eval copies, then none of these will work for you. Mind you, if your company does anything with databases, then it *really* needs to purchase one of the above tools. A database without a maintainable copy of the data model is simply asking for trouble.

Good Luck,

- Chris

Okay, I just did a quick check on dbasupport.com's own Tools and Utilities section:
    [url]http://dbasupport.com/oracle/resource/Tools_Utilities/Freeware_Shareware/[/url]

You should look around there, there may be more.

I found an extremely cheap product ($139) that also has an eval copy:
    [url]http://www.heraut.demon.nl/dezign/index.html[/url]

Good Luck,

- Chris

I used ErWin once and I found it´s complicated compared with Embarcadero. I have used Oracle Designer, Power Designer, Embarcadero and ErWin and I find Embarcadero the easiest...