DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Good vs. Great DBA

A bit of philosphical musing here:
    What would be the distinguishing characteristics of a good vs. really good DBA. What are the qualities that make a standout DBA? What can one do to get as good as possible as quickly as possible.?
    John Doyle

JD,

Good Q! Metoo interested to know where I stand...

A good DBA is helping the company resolve database-related issues. A great DBA is being carried in the senior IT executive's pocket.

A good DBA is buying a house. A great DBA is buying a boat.

A good DBA is tuning the buffer cache. A great DBA is negotiating and asking for more disks.

A good DBA is replying to the user 'you shouldn't run this'. A great DBA is saying to the user 'I am working on to resolve it, and will you give you an answer shortly'

There are a couple of things that seperate Good DBA's from Great DBA's (in my mind):
    1. Both Good DBA's and Great DBA's know the database software for which they are responsible. A great DBA will know how to apply the features of the software to the business.

2. A great DBA will know and understand the need for Process in managing the databases. A good DBA will get the job done in a timely manner but might forget what he did the next time the situation presents itself.

3. A great DBA will be able to react to an emergency without panic. When disaster strikes, a great DBA does not automatically call Oracle Support. She assesses the situation, makes a plan, and possibly confirms the plan with Oracle Support.

4. A great DBA knows that there should be at least two ways to recover at any one time. A good DBA will trust that the backups were done yesterday unless she hears different.

5. Both Good DBAs and Great DBAs don't appreciate management asking is "XYZ done yet?" A great DBA will keep management aprised of the project and manage the expections of management.
    Jeff Hunter

Good thread from two different perspectives. Thanks guys for letting me know what Iam and what I want to be...

Veryy nice thread, gives good chance to become so...
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

A good DBA is a police. He is doing his job according to the law (ORACLE press). A great DBA is a detective. He doesn't trust any rule and he is always digging, digging and digging.

Good DBAs work for companies. Great DBA works for himself, as independent consultant.

I'm still struggling as a cop, right now, dealing with an accident.

Cool

We can't avoid accidents, all we can do is having Detectives to help Cops if their are struggle continues and we do have 'em here... So, what are we talking about ?

"dbasupport" is analogous to "law enforcement" or what ?

2 cents.
    A good DBA:
    -Everything you think is a have to be. or good to be
    A great DBA:
    Who is recognized by other departments and they know he is working in benefit of themself and the Company.
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com