DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Enterprise Manager - replication notification

Question

I am a new user of OEM and have just installed it. I would like to set it up to page a dba if our replication job is broken. Could anyone give me some ideas on what I need to do to set this up?

Thanks in advance!

To get the oem do the paging, go to the system's preffered credentials, and set the paging options filled and tested. Then also, you need to fill the database user/passwd and node's user and passwd.

Then you can use the create event to create and event that monitors the operation and there you can set the time frequencey, under which this thread had to awake and monitor the operation, and send notification. Towards the end of this event creation there is a check box to noticy, don't forget to check that out. Volla you are ready to go. One other thing is that you can create a job through create job, under which you could write an sql script to check the status of the job. On other way is that of creating your replication job through the oem and get the oem execute and notify the status of it, every time when it was done.

Hope this would help you,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thank you, this is helpful but I still have a question.

Under "Create Event", it appears that I can only monitor if the database is up or down. Under "Create Job" I can create a script to tell me the status of the replication refresh job. But how do I specify that if the job is broken (BROKEN = 'Y'), that someone should be paged?

Thanks,

That was one good question. It didn't strike me. So, why don't you migrate the replication job to the OEM. This would solve your problem. Create a replication job through OEM and disable that old job. This would keep you notified about the status. Other wise what you could do is to write a shell script and execute it such that it would page you if the operation did not go through. I normally use the paging an mailing to monitor the events. Mostly mail to notify me every event on all my instances. At this point I'm very much interested to know what is going to be your choice?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sam,
    Thanks! I think I will create the replication job through OEM and disable the old one as you suggested.

I appreciate your help!

Joel