DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle on Linux vs Win2k

We are in the process of moving existing Oracle databases on to Win2K boxes from their existing RS6000 boxes for various reasons. I have suggested we consider looking at Linux if we are going to be on Intel boxes, but will be facing an uphill battle, as we are getting firmly entrenched with windows 2000 servers.

However, I still think it is worth looking at at least. I use linux on a personal basis and am very impressed with its speed and stability, but I have heard that Oracle actually performs better on NT/2000, is easier to manage and install etc..

comments or experiences anyone?

If I could remember correct, oracle released its linux version only a couple of years back. Better side of it was that you can expect linux to be more stable and security tight and etc. On the other had since it was a product new to linux, you cannot expect the patches and other problems to have solve for the linux version redily like it happens for the other platforums. But this delay would not be for too long, b'cos most of those whom I have spoken, would want to venture this area too. On the case of 2000, I heard it was more stable than NT. Also, for conveniences, oracle has lot of application tools, better desigened for windows and these are still primitive on the other unix platforms. So, now the choice is yours. And I would suggest since you have a linux, download that free copy of linux version from technet and try. I think this would better explain the peaks and valleys :)

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!