DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NLS - Backup of DB

I am changing the characterset of my systems and was told to perform a full backup of the system.

If I am performing thisd on a production system in archivelog mode, can I take my regular hot backup (and backups of the archives), will this be good enough?

This way I can minimize downtime.

Thanks in advance,
    Nirasha

BTW I am on Oracle 8.1.6 and am using the alter database command.

BTW, it is always advisible to go for a Cold backup rather than hot backups. But if it was the case that downtime is very costly, do a level 0 hot backup and take all the archive log backup too. take a backup of your control files too and then go for the change.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Oh, I should have mentioned before. I am taking the old fashioned backup.. not RMAN (that is put tablespace in backup mode and using OS copy). I am including the control files as well.

Will I be good to go?

Thanks,
    Nirasha

On that case, I would suggest you to go for a cold one, b'cos you can be sure that you have a good copy in hand that could be retrived for a minimal loos. Hot back up is again not a bad choice, but you have to be sure that the redos are in sync with the archive log. If you are concerned about the saftey than time, go for the cold backup. If its vice versa, then go for the hot backup. You would have the better knowledge of the factors and make a wise decision.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I always understood that in hot backups redo logs are not necessary because we are taking the archive log backups as well. I don't backup the redo in my procedure.

I have performed test cases in recovery from my hot backups and they worked.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
    Nirasha

No, you are not wrong. You don't have to backup your online redo logs during a hot backup. I like to switch logfiles through all the log files to make sure I have all the changes when I go to backup my archived redo logs.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks for the reassurance and yup I switch the logfiles too!!

Thanks alot guys,
    Nirasha