DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORACLE 8I HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS ON WIN2K ADVANCED SERVER

I'm in the process of implementing Oracle 8i on a Win2k advanced server platform. This system will run 4 instances 2 production and 2 for testing and development. Right know the databases are approx 6 gig each. I'm currently in favor of a dell server but I willing to get some other suggestions.

I need to know how many CPU's, Diskspace for future growth, RAID Level (I was considering RAID 5), Memory requirements

etc.

Let me know me what you all think

CPU/Memory requirement depepnds on the no of concurrent users that database is going to support.
    Diskspace is again depends the oraganisation business and volume of data and future plans and enhancements of the business/applications.

I mean, you are the one who can better Justify than us. Others might help you provided you give some statistics on user volume, kinda activity/business that database supports etc.,

I'm looking no more that 30 users at peak time

I guess dell server would do for 30 users and database size of 6 GB. Any specific reason for using RAID 5 ?

I've used it on my NT Lan and it worked fine. Would you suggest something else for oracle.

Also lets say I jumped to 50 users instead of 30 users what brand would you go with for a server

I guess Compaq servers has good reputation for big databases than dell. Thats what i read in magazines. I don't involve much with NT stuff @ work.

If you(someone) have already database sitting on RAID 5, I will advise you to test average quelength on your filesytsem from NT performance Manager when its at peak load. I do read about it, you lots of Data updates RAID 5 might not be a good choice.

I do have a paper that talks little about RAID 5, if you are interested I can send you that.

I suggest using a HP8500 server with raid. Raid is great if you want fast read access. The write to a raid 5 is not as fast.

Ok Sreddy send me the paper at treed@houston.auanet.org

Also vinay_p what is the cost of a hp server ball park numbers of course with specs I listed above.

What RAID level is best for speed and fault tolerance.