DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shows the users who are consuming more machine

Hi,

Check your init.ora file to see if it has any include files. Sometimes you define parameters in the include file and when ORACLE starts it will take the first occurance of the parameter and take that value.

Baliga

Are you sure you are modifying the correct init.ora file. For example, it is pretty common on Unix systems to create a link from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora to the $ORACLE_BASE/admin/SID/pfile/initSID.ora file. However, I was once at a site where they kept the source in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/SID/pfile but then copied the file to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. When I instinctively modified the file in admin/SID/pfile, I assumed that the database would read via the link. However, since they were two seperate files, the old values were still read in.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks everyone.
    Set timed_statistics true worked when I did
    alter system
    set timed_statistics...
    But not when I changed it in init.ora file.
    It did show a change in init.ora but when I did a query it said that timed statistics is false.

Change in number of processes worked only after I restarted my database even when the change was shown in init.ora file,
    it wasn't showing up in v$parameter table.
    How I tested it:
    1st I wanted to increase the number, but when it did not show up in v$parameter I was doubtful so I changed it back to a vary small number 15. When nuumber of processes crossed that number, it did not blow up !

I was useing correct init.ora file (thanks for the tip)

Sonali

I should have told you TIMED_STATISTICS is a dynamic init.ora paramter. SORRY !

Post timed statistics

Timed statistics enables and disables the collection of timed statistics, such as CPU and elapsed times, by the SQL trace facility, as well as the collection of various statistics in the dynamic performance tables. The default value of FALSE disables timing. A value of TRUE enables timing. Enabling timing causes extra timing calls for low-level operations. This is a session parameter.
    with regards
    Prasanna S