DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can't drop database

Hybrid View

Cool

Hi ,

I've tried to drop database: delete datafiles, redo, log, controlfiles ( with help v$datafile, v$logfile ). I've deleted init***.ora file and modified listener.

However when I am running Oracle Configuration Assistant 'droped' database is still in 'available instances' ( when I tried to delete Assistant crashed ).Reboot didn't help / Oracle 8.1.6 on Linux /

thanks for help

Jan

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jan [/i]
    [B]Hi ,

I've tried to drop database: delete datafiles, redo, log, controlfiles ( with help v$datafile, v$logfile ). I've deleted init***.ora file and modified listener.

However when I am running Oracle Configuration Assistant 'droped' database is still in 'available instances' ( when I tried to delete Assistant crashed ).Reboot didn't help / Oracle 8.1.6 on Linux /

thanks for help

Jan

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Jan,

It seems , u have not unregistered the Environmental Parameters like ORACLE_SID . Try to remove this . It may help u to avoid displaying the database name in Oracle Configuration assistant.

Best of luck

Pramathesh Kumar Mohapatra
    Sql Star International Ltd.
    Stp Hyderabad. Andhra Pradesh
    India

Hi Pramathesh ,

I checked ..$echo $ORACLE_SID ... there is no value, where else it can be set ?

thanks, Jan

Instance and database are 2 different things. So you may have an instance of a droped database. if you have remove all the database file...datafile,redolog,controlfile,conf+initfile..you have removed the databse. Now you have to clean your variable parameters

Hi,

In Solaris (I presume the same for Linux) the oratab file contains a list of all available databases. Ensure the dropped database is not listed in this file.

Regards

moff.

Any idea where to start ?

thanks, Jan

Cool

<g> we missed. I've edited "/etc/oratab" file and instances are gone.

Many thanks for help, Jan

Ps: is there some docs what is under Linux assistants, I've got docs shipped just for tools for NT ?

If dbassistant doesn't work, Shutdown the database and remove all the files associated with the database(control,log,data and parameter). Thats about it. Your database is gone.

I haven't worked on linux to tell where the oratab entry is gonna be. But you can use unix 'find' command to find where that entry is going to be.

In linux, I think:

/etc/oratab

In Sun;

/var/opt/oracle/oratab