DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: delete old backups

Hi,

I quick question for you all.

I recently set up backup strategies for our database on Unix servers, and now I realize that the backups are quickly occupying a lot of disk space. I want to delete some of the older backups to free up the disk space. How do I do that ? I mean how do I find out what files are not needed ?

Thanks for your input

Question

Could you please provide more detail about type of database that you have. Are you running Archivelog? Also let me know what backup strategy you have.
    Thanks

Write the backups to tape then delete from server.

I have Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition installed on Sun OS Unix servers. The database is run in archivelog mode and I am taking a hot backup of the database using rman every night.

Since this is on a development database where we are testing our backup and recovery mechanisms, we want to keep just a couple of days worth of data and delete older ones. May be this is a very basic question, but I wanted to know if I could just list all the files and delete the old ones by the date and time of creation of them. Or are they all related in some weird way...)).