DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Datablock corruption

Hybrid View

Recently we came into situation of Oracle datablock corruption. It was only for one of the datablock. The message was Ora-01578.

We came to know from System admin the reason was hardware failuer. But I am interested in knowing how to overcome this from the oracle point of view.

Hi,

I came across this error a just before christmas. In my case (there were 3 block corruptions in the system tablespace)According to Oracle support, the safest/best way to fix the error was to recover from my last backup and, as I'm running in archive mode, role forward to a time before the first reported 1578 error. This meant losing 2hrs work but meant the system was back running in a short period of time.

Regards

Moff

Hi,

I came across this error a just before christmas. In my case (there were 3 block corruptions in the system tablespace)According to Oracle support, the safest/best way to fix the error was to recover from my last backup and, as I'm running in archive mode, role forward to a time before the first reported 1578 error. This meant losing 2hrs work but meant the system was back running in a short period of time.

Regards

Moff

Hi,

You get ORA1578 only when you try to access the corrupt block. if that block is not accessed you will never come to know as to when the corruption happened.

To address this, we do a regular restore to one of our test boxes on a monthly basis and run dbverify on all the datafiles. If we find the corruption we know that this has happened in the last 30 days.

In case of block corruption you can identify the table and export it from the good copy of restore and import it in the database having 1578.

Baliga