DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replication Setup

Hello

I have got oracle enterprise (8i) installed on nt server at one location and at another location oracle 8i workgroup. Both locations are connect using telephone leased lines.

I want to setup replication process to insert/update data from enterprise server to workgroup server on scheduled time.

How to setup. Please suggest.

Thanks

try to use snapshots (with fast refresh method). This is effective and simple method. To start read ALL standard Oracle doc on replication. For fast start look into metalink:

Note:120093.1
    Subject: Initial steps required to a create Snapshot Replication environment v8.1

Here are some issues summarized:

1. if snapshot masters (or any replicated table if multimaster replication is used) has triggers, then be carefull with create/fire of those triggers when rows are modified(ins,upd,del) by replication process.

2. snapshot log may be lost if master table is modified in a number of ways, for example, truncated w/o preserve snapshot log clause. The lossing of log is quite an issue
    because then snapshot must be recreated - a huge amount of data has to be transfered. Having this in mind, if database is in constant development and tables are large, then may be multimaster replication is a good option.

3. to export/import table w/o lossing its log begin_table_reorganization/end_table_reorganization procedures from replication API are used, but those have bugs for snapshots in both 815 and 816 patch3 versions. See note in metalink on that

4. snapshot refreshes can be quite well controled by manipulating dbms_jobs. However, in 816 path3 set job_queue_processes=8 (not less 5) for jobs to work correctly.

5. if data consistency is an issue (between several tables), then use refresh groups.

6. snapshots may not have fk's in general. PK's as well, but in practice can.

7. LONG columns are not snapshoted (do not know about multimaster method)

8. if remote db isnot trusted, then setup db link to some user at master db with select privileges on master table and its logs(?). Defining snapshot prefix table names with shema names then. Else USE THE SAME SCHEMAS in BOTH MASTER AND REMOTE SITES. This simplifies things with grants.

9. grant all necessary grants for both remote and master schemas as described in replication docs.

to LND

Hi, LND,

I am glad to see you use "trusted" this word. Where I can find out more information regarding trusted and untrusted?

What is the definition? it is a security related or ...?

thanks

Jim

in that context I mean 'trusted server' as a remote server which is not going to log into master server using DB link and drop all tables in master schema or do truncate or, etc, etc.

Such server could be:
    1) server declared as trusted. For example, no one care about trusted/untrusted if server is next door in the same organization.
    2) server is protected at DB, OS and HW levels: ideally only TCP/IP post for oracle is opened, console is loacked, etc, etc.

Use Oracle Advanced Replication to set it up.
    It makes it very simple to do.