DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Concerns after removing/deleted a datafile...

Unhappy

Hi All,
    I ran into some sort of problem that I cannot find an explanation for. THe scenario is this:

I added a new datafile to a tablespace and did some test/practice and afterwards I removed it from the database and also from the physical disk.

The problem is this: When I do a query on the v$datafile, the name is still listed.

Is this because the datafile name is/was listed in the controlfile? What do I do to remove it from showing up when I query the v$datafile?

Thanks in advance,
    Dee.
    God Bless

Hi,

There is no other way of dis-associating a datafile from other than dropping the tablespace.

You do have drop datafile syntax, but thats imply if you have the intention of dropping tablespace. Unfortunately Oracle doesn't mentione this where the syntax mentioned. Becareful and make sure you want to drop datafile before doing that.

Oracle will be thinking still its part of tablespace until tablespace rebuilt.

Hi

the only way to drop a datafile from a tablespace with 2 or more datafiles is export the contents in tablespace, drop the tablespace and create a new tablespace and import the data. Remember add a datafile is simple, to delete one is pretty complex!