DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need C compiler? 32 bit Oracle? need clue

Unhappy

Do I need C or C++ compiler when I install Oracle on HP-UX? What kind of Oracle or other applications need C compiler? What's the difference of 32 bits and 64 bits Oracle (both Oracle 8.1.6)? How is the performance of 32 bits Oracle?
    Thank anybody give me some clue.

When I installed Oracle on SunOS Unix server, it needed an ANSI C compiler, linker, assembler etc. The installation kept failing with wierd messages and it took a while to figure out that the above utilities were missing ! They have to be installed in /usr/ccs/bin directory and that directory must be in your PATH variable.

When installing the oracle software on HP-UX you can use the C-compiler that's included in the HP-UX software. ( it's not the ANSI-C compiler )

You only need to install ( and buy ) the ANSI-C compiler if you want to use Pro*C.

Hope this helps
    Gert

Thumbs up 32 BIT AND 64 BIT ORACLE

hi,
    i hope u already know that that there is a file restriction of 2gigs on any standard 32 bit platforms and that there has always been a run by the OS providers to beat this limit, SUN is the poineer in doing this, now SUN supports files larger then 2gigs and the other OS providers are providing additional kernel parameters to handle files > 2gigs and to take adv. of the underlying OS's cabality to handle large files,orcle. has come out with the 64 bit server option, this would mean to say that oracle would handle filesizes larger then 2gigs, rgds. performance benifit, as u would know if any segment can fit into the least no. of extents then thre. would be a marked imp. in perf., the large file option helps orcl. to just that, thereby accessing large amt. of data in one single extent. instead of searching for data across extents as what would happen in stand. 32 bit platforms
    cheers
    bye
    soren