DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: primary & standby database

Arrow

I was wondering how to open the primary database and make the standby database in recover mode at the same time? I made the standby database and I mounted it in standby but now I can't seem to startup the primary database without shutting down the standby.

thanx
    legrog

Hi,

They are two different databases. The only thing common among these is the redo logs. The standby expects the redo logs from the primary database to roll forward.

How you have set up the standby?

Baliga

Hi there , What you need to do is to keep sending the redo log as and when genereted on the production database , and apply all those logs onto the standby database .
    In case if you miss any of redo logs , you need to resend the log and apply it onto the standby one otherwise it will be useless (or it will miss some of the data ).
    Once you shutdown your main database and start the stanby , you need to recrerate the new database on the machine running production one .Hope this helps .

I'm still kinda lost. Okay, I created a standby controlfile and I shutdown my primary database. After shutdown I backup the primary database. I copy the backup files and the standby to another hard disk over the network. Then I startup the standby database and mount standby over the network. Once the standby is mounted, I can't seem to mount the primary database at the same time. How would I startup the primary database while the standby is up?

thanx
    legrog