I want to migrate my Oracle 8i database on Solaris 5.7 to another server - with same configuration.
My database is a very small one, with just about 30 tables and 5 procedures.
Do you think just transferring the tables with any 3rd party tool like SQL DTS would do? or do I need to dump my database script and follow the traditional method??
If yes, what are the steps I need to follow?? What are the precautions I need to take??
Thanks for any help.
1. install oracle software on new_server
2. make mount points the same on new_server look the same as old_server
3. shutdown database on old_server
4. copy files to same location on new_server
5. startup database on new server
use export and import is easier. choose the owner of the tables and procedures and export. import this exported file to new database. you even can export from unix and import to NT based oracle or different version oracle.
if the database is small as you said use exp/imp if large then marist's suggestion would be faster
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width