DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Apps 11

I've never worked with Oracle Apps before, however worked with BaaN and SAP. Can someone having experience in Oracle App version 11 or 11i share some excitement, challenges, and pitfalls, basically likes and dislikes? What are some the necessary tasks involved besides lots of patching I have heard of? Thanks
    goodhealth

Question The future of ERP market

Hi! goodhealth.

I am planning on studying the oracle Fin App Rel 11 or 11i, and I believe you are the right person who can answer my question if you've worked in ERP environment;SAP,BAAN.

What do you think about the potential markets of (ERP and CRM), and the futhre of ERP?. Do you think a APP developer with DBA skill woulb be marketable in the real job situation.

jung
    :confused:

Talking

I am dealing and administrating Oracle Apps including financials & logistics ( purchasing ... ).

They are great and very powerful but you need to do monthly administrative tasks in order to manage the software like opening / closing periods , creating sequences for documents and all of this you can make easily after a system adminsiatrtion course taken at Oracle university.

It is just good in ver 11 and the best of all in 11i

If need more information kindly inform what kind as it is a very big issue
    Hisham Nagia
    IT Manager For Development
    Oracle Consultant - OCP

Talking Hi! Nagia

Can you consider the above question too ?(the futhure of ERP market)

jung
    :confused:

Hi Hashame,

I've heard a lot about Oracle APP bugginess on version 10 and 11, not 11i yet. APP admin. had to apply hundreds or thousands patches on the old versions. Is this one of the big problems that Oracle has? In terms of task allocation, what will be percentage of to hand Oracle APPs, for example, install patch 70%, close/open periods 20%, Sequence 10% etc.?

Hi Jung,

I think ERP/CRM software is going to be around for long time because companies cannot afford to write their own software considering ERP scope, complexity and ecommerce nature. The question is which one is a good ERP vendor. For the time being, Oracle APPs seems to be on the top of my list in my DBA view of course. Peoplesoft seems to make a comeback and SAP is still outthere, although with SAP people tend to complain about their rigid or unfriendly nature. Siebel is also the leader in CRM but I think Oracle is trying to beat them. Don't know much about Claify CRM. However try to stay away from BaaN though. In summary, I think you make the right decision to pursue Oracle 11i. Good luck.

[Edited by goodhealth on 02-15-2001 at 12:15 PM]
    goodhealth

hnagia,

I would appreciate, if you could send some docs/white papers OR refer couple of websites worth to visit on Oracle Apps for some insight information from DBA perspective. Thanks
    Reddy,Sam