DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: User Profiles

Question User Profiles

Can a user be given two roles...? If so, one role will have execute privileges and the other role will have DBA privileges. Can a user be able to connect to any one of the roles...? like connect system as sysdba...?

This is quite urgent...

regards,
    Srikanth

yes multiple roles can be assigned to users....and it is possible for a user to connect to the database using a particular role
    Suvashish

Arrow

a user can definitely have more than one role at any time but do remember that the user will have only one default role aslo the other roles can be enabled or disabled with the set role command, one thing to remember here is that the sysdba privilege is a very special privelege which is similar to the user internal, which again is none other then sys connecting as sysdba, this role and sysoper has to be set in a special way, pls. go thro. oracle documentation for doing this and also be aware that there are some roles that cannot be granted via another role, i.e., they have to be explicitly assigned to the user.,the oracle documentation will give u all this info. is this ok or any more clarifications, do write
    bye
    soren

Post User Profiles

The scenario is, I have two roles one role will be a DBA role who can do anything and the other is a developer role who will not have any create privilege. How can we shuffle around these two roles by a single user....?

Srikanth

Srikanth,

What soren suggesting is a general/normal option for users. May not be an option at all here in your context as one of the role is DBA. DBA can see/do everything/anything.

It doesn't makes sence to me and reminds me a month back posting on DBA not to have a look at CEO data, How? NO WAY .

If I have, DBA privileges I have got to get outta that session setting my default role as 2nd one and relogin so that I loose DBA privs.

What is the point here I don't understand at all.

[Edited by sreddy on 02-03-2001 at 10:17 AM]