DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Online Lab Hosting Recommendation?

Online Lab Hosting Recommendation?

Hi,

I've just finished Oracle DBA Concepts 12c. I'm planning to move on by reading 2 Day DBA and so on. Before that, i would like to ask for a hosting recommendation for my Lab environment where i can test various features such as Oracle RAC, Data Guard, etc.

Thanks.

Hi - first, with "hosting recommendation" I understand that you want to deploy RAC on the cloud , and want to get indications about cloud servers providers - if so, many alternatives exists (Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure are two known providers and https://aws.amazon.com/articles/7455908317389540 https://www.pythian.com/blog/oracle-rac-azure/ are examples / guides about how to deploy) but Please understant :

=> you will depend on internet access (with acceptable latency and speed) to use your labs, something not always surely available

=> to deploy RAC, the hardware/computacional power required is high, so FOR SURE it will surpass the free access levels that any cloud provider gives and thus you WILL have a cost, probably representing some hundreds of dollars, or somtehing like that...

IF these things don´t represent any problem to you, go ahead and avaliate the providers - but if I were in your shoes, I would prefer to use the money to buy a notebook/laptop with 500 Gb of disk space and 16 Gb of RAM (it´s enough) and create my personal transportable customized lab....

Regards,

J. Laurindo Chiappa

Quote Originally Posted by serhatbalik View Post
    Hi,

I've just finished Oracle DBA Concepts 12c. I'm planning to move on by reading 2 Day DBA and so on. Before that, i would like to ask for a hosting recommendation for my Lab environment where i can test various features such as Oracle RAC, Data Guard, etc.

Thanks.

Thanks for the assistance. I'll definately check Oracle Rac Azure article. The guy speaks exactly about my problem.

Glad to help... The article don´t touch in the question of costs, so just to be sure, let me repeat : much probably the sheer volume of RAM and disk space needed to be able of simulate a RAC environment surely will surpass the free amount that Microsoft (and any other cloud provider, for the record) gives to you, so much probably you will have some cost to deploy it - don´t forget about the possibility of buying a personal computer with this money and deploy your labs on it, in many cases this option will be much more cost-effective than going to the cloud....

[]s

Chiappa
    Quote Originally Posted by serhatbalik View Post
    Thanks for the assistance. I'll definately check Oracle Rac Azure article. The guy speaks exactly about my problem.