DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ugradind Oracle from linux 5.8 to 6

ugradind Oracle from linux 5.8 to 6

Hi,

I got Oracle database 11204 up & runing on linux RH 5.8
    I need to upgrade this database from linux RH 5.8 to 6.x (on a different server)

Do i need to reinstall Oracle on linux 6 and do the database upgrade,

or a copie of the Oracle home plus relinking + copie of database files is sufficient,

Best Regards

Ideally you want to install and apply the same Oracle patches in the new Oracle home. Then
    you can just clone your existing database to the new server. This is an ideal migration plan,
    given that if something doesn't work, you can easily fail back to your current server.

You should write scripts to automate the process, make sure that you get all of the redo when
    you do the final migration. Perhaps you could shutdown, the front end, startup restrict then shut
    down the database again and copy the archive logs to the new server. Track the sequence number
    for the last archive log and make sure that it gets applied.

Once you have fully tested the process and verified that it works, you can schedule the migration
    whenever you want. If the volumes are different, or if the database name if different use the
    db_filename_convert and log_filename_convert parameters to change the path on the new server.
    If you want to shrink the downtime, set up the new database as a standby database. Then when you
    cut over you are just activating your standby database. You could also do a switch over if you are using
    data guard.